||Career Services: Getting to know...Joy Anderson Asher
RELEASED: January 14, 2010
DANVILLE, KY—1. What is your position at Centre? Associate Director of Career Services
2. Where did you grow up? Lexington, Ky.
3. What are your hobbies? Playing with my kids, singing, reading, watching UK basketball
4. Favorite season? Winter. I love snow.
5. Most prized possession (and why)? That’s a hard one… probably my wedding album and the kids’ baby books
6. Favorite novel (and why)? So many to choose from… Time Traveler’s Wife, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Memoirs of a Geisha…
7. Most memorable trip or vacation? 2000 trip to Europe with the Lexington Singers because we sang during an evening mass in Notre Dame cathedral and because I got engaged on the Pont Neuf on Bastille Day
8. Movies: favorite dramatic film? Favorite comedy? Drama – It’s a Wonderful Life (though Shawshank Redemption is a close second); Comedy – The Birdcage
9. Favorite album (and why)? See #10
10. Favorite band, favorite solo singer, and favorite comedian/comic actor? I have very eclectic musical tastes, so it’s hard to pick a favorite. Favorite comic actor – probably Will Ferrell
11. Favorite food? Chocolate chip cookies
12. Most memorable experience of your youth? High school trip to Europe
13. Historical figure you'd most like to meet? John Adams
14. Favorite aspect of your job? Helping students figure out what they want to do and get internships or jobs
15. Favorite Centre tradition? I never ran The Flame, so I’d have to say the faculty Christmas caroling. That was always a nice thing when you were stressed out from finals and would rather be at home.
16. What would you be doing if you weren't working at Centre? Stay-at-home mom
17. Educational experience that's been most helpful to you? Definitely my time at Centre; it prepared me well for grad school and the work world.
18. Best thing about growing up in your family? My parents were very emphatic about doing your best and giving things your best effort, even if you didn’t always win/succeed. That’s something that has stayed with me and served me well.
19. Favorite place on campus (and why)? I should probably say Career Services, although the new Campus Center is amazing. As a student, my favorite place was in a seat on the second floor of the library right by the front windows. It was one of the few places from which you could see all of campus.
20. Advice you'd give to a first-year college student to make career success more likely? Take classes in as many different subjects as possible, and get hooked in with Career Services. Even if you don’t know what you want to major in or do after Centre, knowing Career Services is here and how we can help will be very beneficial down the road.
If you could live for one year in a foreign city at no expense, where would you go? Paris, France
Have comments, suggestions, or story ideas? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback.
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Consumers Digest ranks Centre No. 1 in educational value among all U.S. liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://archive.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://archive.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422