1. Position/title: Assistant Professor, Economics.
2. Hometown: Singapore.
3. Career highlight: Actually getting a job.
4. Signature class: French wine for dummies. No, actually probably international economics.
5. Recent publication/exhibition/performance: "On the Role of the State in the Borderless World," Globalization 5(2)/"Endogenous social change," seminar presentation at Stanford/running for the bus.
6. Family details: Mom and sis back in Singapore, surrogate family in California.
7. Hobbies: Hiking, sailing, running, guitar, drums, reading, good food and wine (not necessarily in that order—most notably the running often follows the good food).
8. Pets: The spider that took up residence behind my bedroom door.
9. Prized possession: Tiffany, my 1993 Mazda 323. Yes, kind of pathetic, but I did just finish graduate school. Oh, and of course things like my family, friends, that sort of thing.
10. Last book read:Dancing Naked in the Mind Field, Kary Mullis.
11. Memorable trip/vacation: Trying to order a filet-o-fish and fries at McDonald's in Moscow, Russia, in February (it was -17 F, and they don't really speak English).
12. Favorite movie:Before Sunrise. Okay, I'm a helpless romantic.
13. Favorite album: Either U2's Rattle and Hum or Joshua Redman's Moodswing.
14. Favorite food: Good food.
15. Favorite smell: Freshly roasted coffee on a winter's day.
16. Person you most admire: He-Man. He-Man rocks.
17. Living figure you'd most like to meet: Santa Claus. But he didn't reply to my letters last year, so I hope he's okay.
18. Historical figure you'd most like to meet: Jesus of Galilee.
19. What would you be doing if you weren't teaching at Centre: Development work in Côte d'Ivoire. But I'll need to work on my French. When I was a kid, I (like everyone else) wanted to be an astronaut.
20. Describe yourself in three words: Easygoing, open-minded dude. Wait, that's four words.
- end -
Founded in 1819, Centre College is ranked among the U.S. News top 50 national liberal arts colleges. Centre alumni, known for their nation-leading loyalty in annual financial support, include two U.S. vice presidents and two Supreme Court justices. For more, visit http://archive.centre.edu/web/elevatorspeech/
For news archives go to http://archive.centre.edu/web/news/newsarchive.html.
600 W. Walnut Street
Danville, KY 40422
Public Information Coordinator: Telephone 859-238-5714