Centre President John Roush frequently counsels members of the Centre community to enjoy the College's high rankings, while at the same time taking them with a large grain of salt.
But he also points out that the rankings matter and that “considered collectively…they have substance.”
He goes on to say, “If a school is highly ranked and regarded in virtually all the lists and guidebooks—which make their determinations based on widely varying methodologies—it's fairly likely that good things are happening in terms of the education being provided to young men and women on that campus. This is the case with Centre College to a remarkable degree. Wherever you look—from U.S. News to Forbes to Colleges That Change Lives to the National Survey of Student Engagement—you'll find Centre among the leaders. Very few educational institutions in the U.S. are regarded so favorably by so many.”
The Alumni Factor
Centre ranks #11 among 53 Liberal Arts Colleges and #18 overall among 177 Alumni Factor Schools. Centre College is likely one of the best colleges in the U.S. Centre grads simply can't glow enough about their tiny academic gem in the geographic center of Kentucky. (December 2012)
- Ranked #1 in the nation for "Happiest Graduates"
- Ranked #2 in the South among liberal arts colleges
- Ranked #2 in the nation among liberal arts colleges for alumni giving
- Ranked #3 in the nation among all colleges and universities for alumni giving
- Ranked #11 in the nation overall among liberal arts colleges
- Ranked #18 in the nation overall among all colleges and universities
The National Survey of Student Engagement
- Centre educational experience well above national average according to NSSE (December 2012)
- More about Centre and NSSE
U.S. News and World Report
- Ranked #49 among national liberal arts colleges (September 2013)
- Ranked #5 in the nation for Best Undergraduate Teaching (April 2013)
- Ranked #6 for Most Alumni Donors (January 2013)
Forbes MagazineRanked #32 private liberal arts college in the nation and #3 in the South (August 2013)
Washington MonthlyWashington Monthly rankings showcase Centre’s commitment to service (August 2013)
Princeton ReviewPrinceton Review rates Centre among nation's best colleges (August 2013)
Fiske Guide to CollegesCentre a best college in the nation according to “2014 Fiske Guide to Colleges” (August 2013)
Colleges That Change Lives“College isn’t just about the end result. It’s also about the means, the process, the path you take to earn your degree, whom you meet, and who inspires and mentors you,” Pope and Oswald write. “To find a life-changing college, you must pay attention to how a college educates its undergraduates.”
The Princeton Review named Centre one of the nation’s best institutions for undergraduate education on its list of the top colleges in the nation. “Students love this combination of global ... and personal learning [at Centre],” the review says.
The “2013 Fiske Guide to Colleges” has recognized Centre as one of the best institutions of higher education in the country. The guide touts Centre’s study abroad program, which offers travel options in China (above), England, France, Mexico, Japan and Ireland.