International Applicants

Cultural Fiesta 2008
International Student Association

At Centre, our commitment is to enrich all of our students with worldwide opportunities, such as our study abroad or exchange programs. Centre actively seeks to provide opportunities for students from other countries to come to our college and welcome them into our college community.

Application Requirements

International students with U.S. status (resident, refugee/asylee) should apply as U.S. students; international students who will have non-immigrant status (usually F-1) follow a slightly different procedure.

We give careful attention to every application that we receive. The most important criterion for admission is academic promise at our college. Centre encourages qualified students to apply for admission.

Only completed applications will be reviewed for admission. Please see the Application Materials Checklist for a list of the documents required to make an application complete.

Application Plans

Application PlanDeadlineTypeNotification DateDeposit Deadline
Early Action December 1 Non-binding February 1 May 1
Early Decision 1 December 1 Binding January 1 January 15
Regular Decision January 15 Non-binding April 1 May 1
Early Decision 2 January 15 Binding February 15 March 1

Complete international applications, including an attested Certification of Finances, must be submitted to the Office of Admission by 12/1 or 1/15 depending on your application plan. Applicants under each plan are considered only for fall term enrollment, which begins in September. If you are admitted and choose to enroll at Centre College, you will need to remit a 300 non-refundable enrollment deposit by either 1/15 (for Early Decision) or 5/1 (for Early Action and Regular Decision) to secure your admission.

International Transfer Students

Centre College encourages international transfer students. It is important to understand our transfer policy. Transfer applicants to Centre must submit everything required of first-year applicants plus a Dean’s Reference form and an official copy of their college or university transcript. The transfer of credit from other universities will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Applicants who have college-level credit from institutions outside of the United States may be required to submit their academic records to World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators for a general evaluation. Information and forms may be obtained from their Web sites at or

Financial Aid

Centre does not offer need-based financial aid to international students but does consider them in our merit scholarship competition. Every international applicant will be considered for merit scholarship. On average, we expect international students to be able to contribute 28,000 annually toward their Centre education. International applicants must complete the College Board Certification of Finances Statement.

Costs / Comprehensive Fee

Centre sets its cost each year as a comprehensive fee. This fee includes tuition, all academic fees, student housing, board (meals), and most cultural and athletic events on campus. Please keep in mind that colleges do increase their tuition each year.

Comprehensive Annual Fee for the 2013-2014 academic year: USD 45,100. This is the amount that would appear on your bill should you enroll at Centre.

Certificate of Eligibility

Students outside the United States will need a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a student visa and to enter the United States (INS Form 1-20 for F-1 student). F-1 students who are already in the United States will need a Certificate of Eligibility to continue their current status.

Centre College will issue the Certificate of Eligibility once we have received two items - the student’s US USD 300 enrollment deposit and the certification of finances showing adequate financial support. We will then tell you how to pay the USD 100 fee required to receive an I-20 form.

Information Request

To learn more about Centre College, to obtain specific materials, or if you have questions about the processing of your application, please contact:

Sarah Miller

Associate Director and Coordinator of International Admission

Centre College

600 West Walnut Street

Danville, KY 40422 U.S.A

(859) 238-5379

(800) 423-6236 (only in the U.S.A)

Fax: (859) 238-5373


*Please include your name, telephone number, and address on all e-mail messages.

1. Application for Admission

Apply online using the Common Application.

2. Academic Records

Official or attested copies of academic records must be submitted from all secondary schools attended, as well as from any university or other post-secondary institution attended. Records should include the subjects studied and the grade, mark, or other evidence that each subject was completed satisfactorily. Records should explain the grading system.

If records are not in English, records should be submitted in the original language accompanied by a certified literal translation. Records will not be returned.

3. Official Test Scores

Required: TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Official or attested copies of TOEFL score reports must be submitted, as evidence of English language proficiency, for all applicants who are from a country where English is not the primary spoken language. Information about the TOEFL is available at US Consulates, USIS offices, and the TOEFL office (TOEFL, P.O. Box 6154, Princeton, NJ 08541-6154, USA). For more information regarding this test please visit

Centre College's CEEB code for the TOEFL is 1109.

Optional: SAT I (Reasoning Test Score) or ACT (American College Test) An SAT I or ACT test score is not required but is recommended if the test is available in your country. Official or attested copies of SAT or ACT score reports must be submitted. Information about the SAT is available at US Consulates, USIS offices, and the SAT office (SAT Program, P.O. Box 6200, Princeton, NJ 08541-6200, USA). For more information on the SAT exam, test location, dates, and registration, visit the College Board Web site at For more information on the ACT exam, test location, dates, and registration, visit their Web site at at

Centre College's SAT/CEEB code is 1109, and its ACT code is 1506.

4. Teacher Recommendation

One letter of recommendation must be submitted as well as the School Report found in your application. Teachers who are familiar with your recent academic performance should write recommendations. The writers of recommendations may use the forms provided in the application or submit letters on a separate sheet of paper. The forms in the application can be copied. Recommendations should be mailed from the writers directly to the Office of Admission (or given to the applicant in a sealed envelope with the writer's signature across the flap).

5. Essay

Applicants are required to submit at least one essay of 250-500 words written in English. The content of the essay should address one of the specific questions posed on the application.

6. Extracurricular

We invite you to share with us activities that you have been involved with outside the classroom. This may be in the form of volunteer work, leadership offices held, etc.

7. Optional for Students

We invite you to share, on a separate sheet of paper, any additional information that you believe could be important in our evaluation of your application and that the other parts of the application have not given you the opportunity to convey.

8. Financial Aid Application

All international students MUST submit the College Board's Certificate of Finance.

Where is Centre? What is it like there?

Centre is located in the beautiful city of Danville with a population of 18,000. Danville is in the heart of Kentucky's Bluegrass Region, world famous for its horse farms. The city offers the charm and security of an historic small town, within easy driving distance of three metro areas: Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati; but a fine array of dining, shopping, and entertainment options are near campus.

The climate here is warm during summer when temperatures tend to be in the mid 20's °C (upper 70's °F) and very cold during winter when temperatures tend to fall below 0 °C (30's °F).

What countries do Centre College students come from?

Centre has had students from the following countries in recent years:

  • Bangladesh
  • Bosnia
  • China
  • India
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Myanmar
  • Nepal
  • Netherlands
  • Northern Ireland
  • Pakistan
  • Puerto Rico
  • Republic of Korea
  • Rwanda
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Tanzania
  • Turkey
  • Vietnam
  • United Kingdom

Who is considered an international applicant?

Regardless of where in the world they live, a student who is neither a U.S. citizen nor a U.S. permanent resident is considered as an international applicant.

Are all international students required to take the TOEFL? What is the minimum score required to gain admission?

Yes. Centre College requires that all non-native English speakers submit their scores for the TOEFL. Centre typically expects scores of 237 on the computer-based TOEFL, 580 on the paper-based version, and 90 on the Internet-based TOEFL.

Does Centre require international students to submit SAT or ACT scores?

Considering that in some countries SAT or ACT is not offered, we do not require our international students to submit SAT or ACT scores. It is, however, strongly encouraged that students with access to the SAT and/or ACT take the test and submit their scores.


Will Centre accept a photocopy of my standardized test result?

No. TOEFL and SAT scores should be sent directly to Centre College from the Educational Testing Service.

Is there a separate international application for foreign or international students?

International applicants should apply using the Common Application. In addition, to complete the application package international students should also fill the College Board's Certification of Finances.

What financial aid and scholarships are available for international students applying to Centre?

Every applicant to Centre is considered for merit scholarships. For international applicants, merit scholarships will typically range from USD 10,000 - 17,000 per year. We do not provide need-based financial aid for international applicants.

Can international students apply as transfer students?

Centre does accept international transfer applications. However, we only accept the transfer application of international students who are enrolled or attended institutions in the U.S.

Can an international student apply for Spring Term admission?

No. With the exception of a few students, who were admitted for the fall term and were not able to come to the college until spring term for visa reasons, all new international students may only enroll in the fall term of each year.

How and when do I apply for a student visa?

The college will issue you an I-20 form once we have received the student's US 300 enrollment deposit and the certification of finances showing adequate financial support. After receiving the I-20 form you must apply for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The college will not cover the cost of visa application in your home country.

我需要如何和何时申请学生签证? 当学校收到学生寄来的300美元定金会签发I-20表和足够的财务证明。当你收到I-20表之后,你必须到美国大使馆申请学生签证。学校不会支付你签证的申请费。

What kind of support is available to international students once on-campus?

Before the official first-year orientation, the College invites international students to a special orientation that introduces them to Danville and the United States. The International Student Advisor is officially responsible for much of the on-campus support available to international students such as social security card and employment documents. However, other offices also provide the same caring support available to all Centre students.

There is also a student-run organization for international students, International Student Association (ISA), to help them integrate into the Centre community. In addition, there are various other organizations such as the Diversity Student Union (DSU), Muslim Student Association (MSU), and CentreFaith that organize social and cultural events to promote togetherness and encourage diversity.

国际学生在校园中有那些可以依靠的支持? 在正式新生入学教育之前,Centre邀请国际学生参加一个特别的入学教育以帮助你适应丹维尔和美国的生活。国际学生顾问会正式负责对国际学生的在校支持,例如社会保障卡和相关工作文件。同时,其他办公室也会提供一视同仁的帮助和支持。 同时,一个学生自己成立和组织的留学生协会(ISA)也会帮助留学生更好的融入学校文化中。另外,一些其他组织,例如多元化学生协会(DSU),穆斯林学生协会(MSU),和CentreFaith也会组织各种社交性和文化性的文化来促进学生归属感同时鼓励校园多元化。

What documents should I bring to the U.S.?

When to come to the U.S. you should bring with you any important documents that relate to your academic, medical, and legal history:

  • Official transcripts from secondary schools, colleges, or universities
  • Medical and dental records, including certificates of immunizations and vaccinations
  • Information about medical conditions or treatments, prescriptions for medication and eyeglasses
  • International driver's license

Before you leave your home country, if these documents are not in English, obtain English translations and have the translations certified by a U.S. educational advising center or a U.S. consulate or embassy. Retain photocopies of all original documents for your records.

Does Centre offer ESL (English as a Second Language) classes?

Yes, international students have the opportunity to take part in non-credit ESL training.

Can international students spend the summer at Centre?

For international students that wish to spend their summers in Centre, we offer a variety of on-campus employment. In past, students have collaborated with their professors in conducting in-depth research projects or taken more typical summer jobs also available often in office support. The College offers low-cost housing for those students wishing to remain on campus during the summer months.

国际学生在暑假可以留在校园里吗? 对希望暑假能留在校园的国际学生,我们提供多种在校动作。在过去,学生可以和自己的教授进行一些深入的学术研究课件或者找一份专门是夏天的工作,主要是支持日常办公室工作。对于那些暑假想留校的学生,学校提供便宜的房子。

Will I be able to study abroad while at Centre?

Yes; Centre offers term-long study abroad programs and shorter programs, and international students can apply to spend a semester in England, France, Mexico, Northern Ireland, China, or Japan. Short-term trips to places such as Barbados, Australia, Indonesia and Russia are open to all students. For more information, click here.

我在Centre的时候可以出国交流吗? 当然!Centre提供长期和短期的出国学习的项目,国际学生同样可以申请到英国,墨西哥,北爱尔兰,土耳其和日本进行一学期的交换项目。一些短期的项目,例如去巴巴多斯,澳大利亚,印度尼西亚和俄罗斯,也对所有学生开放。