Frequently Asked Questions | Technology Issues

Q. Are PCs provided in residence hall rooms?
A. PCs are not provided in individual student rooms. However, all networked residence hall rooms provide one Ethernet network port per student, and students may connect their personally-owned computers to these ports. All students have access to computers in classrooms, laboratories, and computer cluster areas. There is also a lab in the library, which is available during library hours. The College will maintain and certify the readiness and functionality of each existing network port. For residents of Rodes House and all 5th Street, Grant Street and College Street apartments, network access is available only through wireless. The "Wireless Networking Policy" is available on the ITS wiki at

Q. To whom can students go if they need computer assistance?
A. ITS suggests that the first method to use for non-emergency issues is to enter a helpdesk call directly by visiting The online call will automatically be entered in the Help Desk database which is checked regularly by ITS staff. Another method is to send an email to Emailed requests will be entered into the Help Desk, generally by the close of the following business day. Students can also call the Information Technology Services office to enter a helpdesk call at campus ext. 5575 or contact the Student Helpdesk at ext. 6666 or visit the ITS office at McReynolds Hall for assistance. Each individual student is responsible for the maintenance and repair of his/her individually-owned computer as well as problems not directly associated with the College's technology environment.

Q. Are students given e-mail accounts?
A. Every student is provided with a free network account with e-mail, regardless of his/her decision to connect to the network with a personally-owned computer. Information regarding e-mail accounts is given to the students at registration. Student e-mail accounts will remain active throughout the academic calendar and summer until the student graduates. Any and all official college correspondence will use only the Centre e-mail address.

Q. My child is bringing a personal computer to Centre. What services does the College provide?
A. Students who have personal computers that are fully updated and running anti-virus/anti-spyware software will be permitted to register their machines on the College network from their residence hall rooms and have free access to network software, e-mail, and the Internet. Students without personal computers have the same access to the network from computer labs located around campus.

Q. What procedures do students need to follow to get their computers hooked up to the network?
A. Network registration is an important protection measure for the campus network. Step-by-step, guided instructions are provided by visiting when a computer is first connected to the network. Students may follow the online registration instructions and install the provided software on their own or they may seek help by submitting their machines for inspection/certification at a PC Fair. PC Fairs are held at various times during the first weeks of Fall Term. These fairs are managed by ITS and student technicians and provide a drop-off location for students requiring assistance in getting their computers connected to Centre's network. This service is free. More information about PC fairs (dates, times, locations) will be posted throughout campus. Students may elect NOT to connect to the College's network and simply use their own stand-alone computer hardware and software.

Q. What hardware do you recommend?
A. The software available from the College network works best on Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (hereinafter referred to as Windows) computers or a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X. Note: Mac OS 9 (and earlier) and Windows 95, 98, and 2000 and ME are NOT recommended for use on the College's network and are not supported.

A computer using the campus network should have at least two gigabyted (GB) of Random Access Memory (RAM) and a hard drive with at least 120 GB of storage. Memory requirments will increase over time and students purchasing new computers should consider machines with more RAM (4.0 GB or more is suggested, along with the ability to upgrade) and larger capacity hard drives.

In order to connect to the campus network, a computer must have a network interface card (NIC) or a wireless (Wi-Fi) adaptor. All computers, both Windows and Mac, purchased in the past five years should have one preinstalled; however, it is the responsibility of the student to ensure this functionality exists. All residence halls on campus use RJ45 network ports. Those wishing to use a hardwired connection to the network may purchase a Category-5 or Category-6 network cable at any major retailer. Network cables (of various lengths) can be purchased from ITS at cost.

The College is not responsible for repair of hardware (CPU, keyboard, monitor, memory, drives, operating system, gaming systems, etc.) failure of student computers. Therefore, it is important to fully understand any warranties that come with the purchase of a new computer. ITS recommends purchasing a 3 year or longer manufacturer's warranty.

Q. Is there a policy on printing?
A. Network printing is available using shared printers located in the academic and residential labs. ITS staff maintains the shared printing equipment. Students may also connect a personal printer directly to their own computers. Instructions on configuring a shared printer can be found here:

To control spiraling costs and discourage inappropriate and wasteful printing, student printing is monitored on networked printers. Students are allocated $33.00 - the equivalent of 550 black and white printed pages - for the entire academic year. Half of the allocation ($16.50) is provided during Fall Term and the remainder is made available in January for the rest of the academic year. Students may supplement their initial allocation by depositing funds for additional printing at the rate of $0.06 per B/W page. When using the printers in the labs, your student ID card is swiped to release the print job. Your account is debited the appropriate amount for the charges. There is a modest discount for duplex printing. Discounts are also available for print jobs scheduled with Centre Document Services.

Q. What is the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)?
A. The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) offers a variety of instructional technology support services and equipment to Centre students. In particular, they assist students with assignments requiring the use of technology. On occasion, a member of the staff will come into a class to teach various skills, such as web design, image editing, and Office software. The staff is also available to help develop a project and provide troubleshooting. In addition to any instructional technology needs, the CTL also provides, for checkout, digital equipment (such as laptops, projectors, digital cameras, digital camcorders, CD players, and voice recorders) to students free of charge. All reservations for equipment checkout must be made online at least two days in advance - - and all equipment must be picked up between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q. What is the acceptable use Policy?

Centre College provides computing and networking services for Centre students, faculty, and staff. Members of the Centre College community are provided with a network account that will be used to access all services (shared computers, e-mail, Centrenet, etc.) computer and networking services are provided to users in accordance with the principles of free speech and free and open access to information and communication. Centre College does not filter or monitor what sercives a student accesses while online, however some services, such as Peer-toPeer file sharing, are blocked to ensure the stability of the college network and to ensure College is compliant with all applicable copyright laws.

Deactivation of Student Network Accounts

Student accounts remain active as ling as a student is enrolled and in good standing according to the Registrar's Office. This includes students who are on an Academic or Medical Leave of Absence. It also includes students who have been suspended and are eligible to apply for reasmission. However, the e-mail account will be terminated 270 days following the effective date of the suspension (per Registrar's Office records) if the student has not been readmitted to the College. When a student's enrollment status changes, the network and e-mail environment will be deactivated based on the following scheduel:

* Graduates: The account of any student who graduates will become inactive on June 1, one full calendar year following the degree grant date (not the date when graduation requirements ar completed) officially assigned by the Registrar.

*Non-Graduates: The account of any non-graduate who withdraws from the College will be terminated 30 days after the effective data, as assigned by the Registrar, of the change in status.

The CTL offers some of the best video and audio editing equipment on campus. There is a Production Studio, an 8-station Mac lab, and a digitization and duplication services lab. If students need to learn to make podcasts import video clips, or assist with the Centre College radio station or the Front and Centre news, check out the CTL!

The CTL will also take U.S. State Department-approved passport and visa pictures at a fee of $5.00 per sheet. Passport-sized pictures come in 2” x 2” and print out as two pictures per sheet.

If students need to reserve a room in the evening or during non-class hours, they can make these reservations online through the CTL reservation system at The CTL office works together with the Department of Public Safety is ensure the rooms students reserve are unlocked. The CTL will also work with students who have any special technology needs for the event.

Centre students