Frequently Asked Questions | Residential Issues

Q. How secure are the residence halls?
A. All residence halls remain locked at all times. Students must use their Centre ID cards to gain access to any of the residence halls. If a student's ID card is lost or stolen, the student should report it to the Department of Public Safety immediately, and the card will be deactivated so that it can no longer be used to enter residence halls or obtain meals on campus. Replacement ID cards are made in the Student Life Office located on the second floor of the Campus Center, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. There is a $25 charge for a replacement ID card. Students are encouraged to lock their doors when they are gone and not to prop any exterior doors open.

Q. What are the housing requirements of students at Centre College?
A. Because of the value Centre attaches to life in a residential community, students are required to live in College residences and to purchase a meal plan for use in campus dining facilities. Exceptions to the residency requirement are made for students to live at home with their parents in or near Danville. Seniors wanting to live off-campus must submit an application requesting to do so to the Director of Student Life and Housing by the published deadline in the spring during the room selection process. Permission to live off-campus may be granted by the Housing Office on a seniority basis depending upon the number of applicants and vacant beds on campus. It is unlikely that anyone other than a limited number of seniors will be granted permission to live off-campus. Permission to live off-campus is granted on an annual basis and is not guaranteed from year to year. Students who are granted permission to live off-campus must purchase a meal plan. Married students are expected to arrange for their own off-campus housing.

Q. Can first-year students have a car on campus?
A. Yes. All students are permitted to have a car on campus. Students must register their vehicle online through the Department of Public Safety web page. They will then be issued a decal indicating the lot(s) in which they are authorized to park. An annual $50 registration fee will be assessed to the student's bill.

Q. Are Resident Assistants available to help students if needed?
A. Resident Assistants (RAs) are a select group of students who live in specific areas and have primary responsibility there, under the direction of a Residence Director. They are selected each year based upon application. Residence Directors (RDs) are experienced, highly-regarded former Resident Assistants who live in and oversee specified residences or groups of residences. The RAs act as educators, promoting the principles of citizenship and leadership. They hold informational hall meetings, plan hall activities, and are available to provide help to students if needed.

Q. What kind of telephone service does Centre College provide in the residence halls?
A. Centre provides one phone line per room, but the students must supply the phone. Students will also be provided a local telephone directory, which outlines the state and federal regulations governing telephone usage. Local service is provided by AT&T and is free for students. Long distance service is no longer provided. Students living in Pearl Hall, Wiseman Hall, and the Cheek Emeritus House only may rent a phone from the College. Many students rely solely on their cellphone, and the College requires students to share their cell phone number so that we always have a means to reach them.

Q. What is Centre's visitation policy for the residence halls?
A. Visitation is defined as social visiting by members of the other gender in student rooms by invitation of the resident(s). Either roommate may deny the privilege of visitation in his/her room to any person. The housing of guests of the other gender overnight or longer is a violation of college regulations. The purpose of this regulation is to protect the privacy and rights of room and hall mates. Upon approval by the Residence Life Staff and the Student Life Office, first-year students are granted visitation privileges after the first three weeks of fall term. The maximum visitation hours for first-year students during the remainder of the first term are:
Sunday - Thursday: 10 a.m. - 12:30 a.m.
Friday - Saturday: 10 a.m. - 2 a.m.

First-year students will be granted 24-hour visitation after the first term. Most buildings have a specified area, such as a basement, living room, or lounge, which has 24-hour visitation privileges as well as restroom facilities for members of the opposite sex. These privileges can be rescinded by a majority vote of the residents or due to abuse of the privilege or behavioral problems.

Q. When do the residence halls close for campus breaks?
A. For Thanksgiving Break, the residence halls will close at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, November 23, 2010, and reopen at noon on Sunday, November 28, 2010. For the Holiday Break, the residence halls will close at 8 p.m. on Friday, December 10, 2010, and reopen at noon on Sunday, January 2, 2011. However, students may leave after their last final in December. For Spring Break, the residence halls will close at 6 p.m. on Friday, March 18, 2011, and reopen at noon on Sunday, March 27, 2011. The Student Life Office will work to accommodate students coming from a long distance who need to remain on campus during these breaks.

Q. When does my son or daughter have to move out after final exams?
A. The residence halls officially close for the summer at 6:00 p.m. on the day of the last exam. Students should be moved out of their rooms by this time. Exceptions to this rule include seniors and their Senior Week guests and any other students who will be participating in the baccalaureate and/or commencement ceremonies. These students will be allowed to remain in their rooms until 8:00 p.m. on the Sunday of commencement. Students are not required to move out of their rooms over breaks.

Q. What is Centre's alcohol policy?
A. The use of alcoholic beverages by students under 21 years of age and the use of illicit drugs are prohibited on campus and at campus-sponsored events. The use of alcoholic beverages by students is a matter of individual choice and involves the student's acceptance of responsibility for whatever legal and personal consequences may ensue. The College does not accept legal liability for student violations of the law.

Students who are clearly in a state of intoxication, or who represent a possible threat to their own health and safety or to that of others, or who appear prone to disorderly conduct, are subject to sanctions through the College's judicial system. In cases of disorderly conduct or vandalism connected with the abuse of alcohol, the fact that the offender had been drinking will not be treated as a mitigating circumstance in determining sanctions. The Department of Public Safety and other College officials are authorized to issue citations to those who are intoxicated in public.

Centre intends to send a “zero tolerance” message regarding illegal possession or misuse of drugs, or knowingly being in the presence of those who possess or misuse drugs. Students found to be in violation of this policy are subject to immediate administrative suspension.

Whenever the use, possession, or sale of alcohol would represent a potential legal liability to the institution, the College is required to prohibit its availability. College officials cannot serve alcohol to students in violation of the law, nor can alcohol be used in places to which the public has ready access, such as athletic contests, in the dining hall, or in other locations that the College may stipulate from time to time.

Specific guidelines are provided to students at the start of each fall term. Educational programs about drug and alcohol abuse are presented during new student orientation each year, and new students are required to complete an online alcohol education program before arriving on campus.

Q. Is Centre a safe campus?
A. The Department of Public Safety makes every effort to provide a safe and secure environment for each student, faculty, staff and visitor to our campus. Public safety officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help ensure the safety of Centre students. The officers are trained in various areas of general security and fire safety. They do not limit their efforts to criminal activities, but will respond to any matter involving the personal safety of someone within the Centre College community.

A campus wide Emergency Response Plan is located at the public safety office. The mission of the plan is to provide a coordinated, effective response in the event of a natural or man-made disaster on or around the Centre College campus, to provide for the health and safety of all affected individuals within the Centre community, to minimize property damage, and to return Centre College to normal operating conditions following such an emergency. Designated safe places and other pertinent information regarding severe weather and other safety evacuation procedures are posted in all campus buildings.

The Department of Public Safety has implemented a campus-wide emergency mass notification system. In the event of an emergency, this system will simultaneously email, call, and text all students, faculty, and staff with information concerning the emergency. In order to receive this notification, students, faculty, and staff must sign up for the service at the beginning of the academic year.

In addition to the mass notification system, the Department of Public Safety has installed several large LED emergency notification signs on campus. These signs have a flashing strobe light, emit an audible alarm, and provide scrolling text messages when activated. These devices will only be activated in the event of an actual emergency where further action is necessary.

There are emergency phones located throughout the campus, which automatically call DPS. Also, DPS provides a 24-hour escort service for students on campus. An officer will escort a student anywhere on campus at any time. They can be reached on campus by dialing HELP (4357) or from off-campus at 236-HELP (4357) at any time.

The Department of Public Safety provides crime statistics annually on their web page as mandated by federal law. For more information, visit the Department of Public Safety Web site.

Q. What is Centre's policy on hazing?
A. Centre College views any form of hazing as contrary to the mission and purpose of this institution. No individual or group may haze another at any time including initiation into any organization or at the time of affiliation with an organization. In accordance with the Fraternity Executives Association, the National Interfraternity Conferences, and the National Panhellenic Council, Centre College defines hazing as any act of behavior whether physical, emotional, or psychological, which subjects a person, voluntarily or involuntarily, to abuse, mistreatment, degradation, humiliation, harassment, embarrassment, or intimidation, or which may in any fashion compromise her or his inherent human dignity. At Centre, respect for the personal dignity of each student, faculty, and staff member is crucial to our enterprise.

The Student Life Office is committed to appropriate personal, social, and intellectual development of all Centre students and seeks to foster an environment that promotes a positive collegiate experience. Hazing is viewed as detrimental and contradictory to these objectives and will not be tolerated. Any member of the College community who observes a hazing incident should report it immediately to a staff member in the Student Life Office, the Director of Athletics, or the Department of Public Safety. Individuals or groups found guilty of hazing are subject to penalties, which may be as severe as expulsion from the College.
Centre students