Frequently Asked Questions | Health

What if I have questions over the summer?

Parsons Student Health Center is closed during the summer months, but a staff member will be in periodically to check email ( and return phone messages (859) 238-5530. Please let us know if you have a chronic health condition that will require special care or accommodation. If you require special housing, please talk to Ann Young, Director of Housing in the Student Life Office, (859) 238-5480 immediately.

If my student becomes ill while on campus, what should I tell him or her to do?

Tell him or her to go to Parsons Student Health Center located in Sutcliffe Hall across from the pool as soon as possible. Physician clinics are Monday, Tuesday, and Friday 7:30 - 8:30 a.m. and Wednesday 8 - 9 a.m. These are staffed by Drs. Brian Ellis and Jonathan Clark of Family Practice Physicians. A Physician Assistant and a Registered Nurse are available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Thursday 7:30 a.m. - Noon. There are no office visit charges. In case of an after hours emergency, direct students to call 911 or the Department of Public Safety at (859) 236-4357. Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center is located only two blocks from campus.

问:如果我的孩子在校园里生病了,我应该告诉他或她怎么做? 答:让他或她尽快到Parson学生健康中心医治。每周一,二,五早上7:30 - 8:30 和周三8:00 - 9:00 早上会有医生给学生提供门诊服务。一位医师助理和一位注册护士每周一,二,三,和五早上7:30 到下午 4:00 和周四 7:30到中午会给学生提供服务。请医生进行诊断是免费的。如果遇到紧急情况,指导学生拨打911或公共安全部门859-236-4357。Ephraim McDowell地方医疗中心仅仅两个街区远。

How can I contact Parsons Student Health Center, and who is available to help?

Call (859) 238-5530. You will probably speak to Marsha Edelen, their secretary. Kathy Jones, RN is the Director of Parsons Student Health Center. Amanda Goodwin is the Physician Assistant, and Kathy Miles, LMFT, CADC is the Director of Counseling. They are available Monday-Friday during office hours. The two physicians available during clinic hours are Dr. Brian Ellis and Dr. Jonathan Clark. If you need to reach someone after office hours, contact the Department of Public Safety at (859) 236-4357, and they will contact the person on call for you.

What if my student needs to be seen by a doctor after clinic hours?

There are two walk-in health care facilities in Danville: Bluegrass Immediate Care, located at 478 Whirl-A-Way Drive, is open seven days a week (859) 236-3208; and The Weekend Walk-in Clinic, located at 109 Daniel Drive, is open on Saturdays and Sundays (859) 239-6522. These clinics may provide faster and less expensive service for non-emergencies than the emergency room.

问:如果我的孩子想要在门诊时间之后看医生怎么办? 答:丹维尔有两个可以走到的卫生保健设施中心:Bluegrass紧急治疗中心和在周末开放的The Weekend Walk-in Clinic。这两个诊所相比于急诊来说提供相对便宜且快速的治疗

What tips can I give my student about preventing the flu?

Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand cleaner if soap and water are not available. Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes. Germs spread this way. Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, or cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder. Don't holdor carry laundry close to your body or face, in order to avoid contamination. Wash hands with soap and water after handling soiled laundry. Know the symptoms, which include fever, chills, cough or sore throat,runny nose, body aches, headache, fatigue, diarrhea, or vomiting. Don't spread the flu! If you are sick with flu-like illness, see a medical professional immediately. Avoid contact with those experiencing flu-like symptoms, and do not use other people's phones, desks, offices, or other work tools and equipment. For more Centre information about H1N1, click here.

How can I help my student be prepared if the flu does strike?

Create a “flu box” for them. Include a thermometer, Ibuprofen, 2 cans of chicken noodle soup, Saltines, Gatorade or ginger ale, throat lozenges, tissues, and $40 in case their roommate or a friend needs to refurbish supplies.

What other services are provided by Parsons Student Health Center?

Parsons Student Health Center is a small medical clinic located on the Centre College campus. Parsons Student Health Center offers patient care on a walk-in basis on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to Noon. The student health center is staffed by a full time secretary, one full time registered nurse (RN), one full time physician assistant (PA), and two medical doctors. The medical doctors, Dr. Brian Ellis and Dr. Jonathan Clark, contract with the college to provide 4 hours of direct patient care each week.

Common medications (prescription and over the counter), simple diagnostic tests, and vaccinations are available at the student health center for a reasonable cost (at or near cost), and there is no office visit fee. Payment may be made at the time of service or applied to the student’s college account. Because of limited staffing, Parsons staff is unable to bill insurance for these fees. However, if x-rays, lab studies, or other diagnostic tests are ordered at an outside facility, the student’s insurance will be billed by that facility. Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center (EMRMC) is the local hospital in Danville, where students are sent when these types of tests are needed. Please check with the student’s insurance plan to see if EMRMC is considered “in network”.

Allergy shots can be given at Parsons at no charge. Allergy shot patients should bring their vials and dosage sheets when they come to campus or have them sent directly to Parsons Student Health Center.

Travel Medicine services are coordinated by Parsons Student Health Center staff with the Center for Global Citizenship office. Please visit the study abroad webpage to find information on travel medicine services.

A women’s health clinic is offered once monthly and provided by the local health department. Exams, contraceptives, testing for sexually transmitted infections, as well as other services are available. This service is by appointment.

For emergencies, Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center is located two blocks from campus. Please visit for more information. Please reserve emergency room visits for true emergencies.

Non-emergencies will seldom need attention outside of the designated health center hours. However, there are three walk-in health care facilities in Danville: Bluegrass Immediate Care located at 478 Whirl-A-Way Drive is open seven days a week (859) 236-3208; Baptist Express Care is located in Wal-Mart and is open seven days a week (859) 236-4224; and The Weekend Walk-in Clinic located at 109 Daniel Drive is open on Saturdays and Sundays (859) 239-6522.

问:Parson学生健康中心还提供什么服务呢? 答:健康中心免费提供过敏疫苗注射。学生需要自带药水瓶和配药单当他们来学校的时候或直接把它们送到健康中心来。 健康中心也同样提供合理价格的药品,诊断检测,和接种疫苗。你可以直接支付费用或者算在你的学生账户中。如果需要进一步诊断检测,可到医院进行检测。 如果学生要出国留学,去的地方可能会推荐或要求使用特定的疫苗和/或药物。同行的教授会与在Parson工作的队医协作以保证学生可以收到这些疫苗和药品。对于非Centre留学项目和没有队医跟随的学生,我们建议学生在一下的网址寻求帮助:肯塔基旅行药物,肯塔基大学,路易斯维尔大学。 妇科门诊每一个月提供两次。

Mental Health Counseling: What is available through Centre College?

Centre's Student Assistance Program includes professional services provided to Centre students to assist students in being productive, successful, and well-adjusted young adults. Counseling services are provided by two licensed mental health professionals, whose offices are located at Parsons Student Health Center. These counselors are available to see students experiencing such problems as stress and anxiety, depression, substance abuse, relationship and family issues, eating disorders, sexuality issues, transition to college, grief/loss issues, and any other adjustment issues. Services provided include problem assessment, short-term counseling, referral to appropriate services, including psychiatry and medical evaluation, education and training, and prevention.

Counseling to Centre students is free and confidential, and there is no session limit. Appointments may be made by calling Kathy Miles, Director of Counseling, at (859) 238-5740, or emailing her at, or students may call Parsons Student Health Center at (859) 238-5530. Flexible appointment times are available each weekday so that they do not conflict with a student’s class schedule or athletic practices. A campus counselor is always on call for afterhours emergencies. If a student has an emergency outside of regular working hours, they may access a counselor by calling the Department for Public Safety at (859) 236-4357, or (859) 238-5740 to hear the on-call contact number on the Director of Counseling’s voice mail message.

Parsons medical staff members are available to prescribe some mental health medications. Referrals for other mental health medications, psychiatric consults, and psychological testing will be arranged with outside providers by members of the Counseling Services staff. Any off-campus mental health services to students are the financial responsibility of the student and parents.

Students are encouraged to have medications for ADHD prescribed and renewed by their family physician.

Educational information on a variety of mental health and substance abuse topics is available at Parsons, and on the Parsons website. Counseling Services staff members also provide educational programs to student groups throughout the year on a variety of mental health, substance abuse, and general wellness topics. In addition, information is also available in the Wellness Library, and the Parsons Health webpage Student Health 101—The Parent Perspective online newsletter.

问:如果我的孩子遇到了心理上的问题,他或她可以找到什么帮助? 答:Centre有校园咨询服务包括专业服务提供给学生以帮助他们成长为有效率的,成功的,和完全适应环境的年轻人。咨询服务是由两位持证心理治疗专家提供的。他们的办公室坐落于Parson学生健康中心。这些咨询师提供广泛的服务,包括一般对校园生活的调节,压力问题,焦虑,抑郁,药物滥用,关系和家庭问题,进食障碍症状,性方面的问题,亲人离世问题,和任何可能影响一个学生成为快乐,适应的,和有效率的问题。服务包括问题评价,短期咨询,介绍病人到适当的校外服务中心,例如精神状况评价,教育和培训,和预防项目。